What was your first drum machine?

Drum machines have no soul. Or do they?
brosk.ghostie

I’m always curious what drum machine got people into the world of electronic drumming. Obviously the 808 is one of the most famous, and recognizable, but very few have owned one. My first one was a Boss DR-660, and I used it until it literally burnt out on me! :lol:
“Man, I ain’t changed, but I know I ain’t the same.”

http://www.broskghostie.bandcamp.com
spceboi

The first was Volca Beats. I remember watching those Korg videos and being blown away. At the time I knew very little about electronic music so it was a good thing to start with.

After that I got the TR-8 when it came out. A good step up. Sounds much stronger and can do a bit more.

I got the Digitakt a year ago and had lots of fun with it. Now though I have no use for drum machines. The only one I'm eyeing is the machinedrum for it's drum synthesis capabilities.

But yeah, drum machines are hella fun gear.
brosk.ghostie

The Beats is a great one! It’s crazy to me to think how powerful those things are, and how compact and affordable they are. It’s easy to overlook them as simple, but the fact is, they’re analog, just like the 808, and if we could get the sounds of the 808 out of our heads and swap in a Volca Beats back in the 80’s, the Beats would be every bit as famous. My thoughts, anyways. Haha

KORTIKO

For all these years, i’ve never had any drum machine. I guess that every time i wanted to get one, some synth overtook my mind and got it’s place under my desk light. Last months i’m thinking about getting one. Still considering my options. :shock:
brosk.ghostie

KORTIKO wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:12 pm For all these years, i’ve never had any drum machine. I guess that every time i wanted to get one, some synth overtook my mind and got it’s place under my desk light. Last months i’m thinking about getting one. Still considering my options. :shock:
Aw man, so many good options!! Getting something you can sample into can do wonders for your setup. Kind of off-topic, but I’ve been using the Ableton Push, and that thing is a game-changer!!

mccorkled

I've personally never been into them. The few I've played have such a weird feel compared to a normal kit that I just can't get used to it.
spceboi

brosk.ghostie wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:19 pm
KORTIKO wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:12 pm For all these years, i’ve never had any drum machine. I guess that every time i wanted to get one, some synth overtook my mind and got it’s place under my desk light. Last months i’m thinking about getting one. Still considering my options. :shock:
Aw man, so many good options!! Getting something you can sample into can do wonders for your setup. Kind of off-topic, but I’ve been using the Ableton Push, and that thing is a game-changer!!
Nice. I'm considering getting one myself. Looks really fun. Though I might opt for the beatstep pro since I'm mostly interested in the drum machine side and not so much the other stuff.
brosk.ghostie

The Beatstep Pro is a beast of a tool and I definitely think you’ll have a lot of fun with that!

Ludvista

Digitakt! but I swapped it out for an OP-Z and couldn't be more pleased!
mccorkled

Ludvista wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:12 pm Digitakt! but I swapped it out for an OP-Z and couldn't be more pleased!
Would you recommend this for someone that hasn't been impressed by other kits?