What was your first drum machine?

Drum machines have no soul. Or do they?
spceboi

mccorkled wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:33 pm
Ludvista wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:12 pm Digitakt! but I swapped it out for an OP-Z and couldn't be more pleased!
Would you recommend this for someone that hasn't been impressed by other kits?
I'm very intrigued by this as well. What did you like in the OP-Z over the Digitakt ?
Carusoloops

First was the Korg Electribe Er-1! Deceptively simple and easy to program!
3sleeves

brosk.ghostie wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:23 pm I’m always curious what drum machine got people into the world of electronic drumming. Obviously the 808 is one of the most famous, and recognizable, but very few have owned one. My first one was a Boss DR-660, and I used it until it literally burnt out on me! :lol:
Hey, DR-670 for me!
I used to love tweaking kits on that thing and running it through an old Digitech multi-fx pedal to get weird. Being able to sequence a bass line on it was really handy too. Pretty sure mine still works, just needs a dusting and some fresh batteries. :lol:
glendaleave

My first was my Volca Sample. It's not super conventionally a "drum machine", but it definitely works like one. I never see myself getting rid of it, it's so portable.
Prole Volt

When I Was 18, I grabbed an Alesis SR-16. That little thing kept me up for hours. I wish I still had it!
heir_superiority

spceboi wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:13 am
mccorkled wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:33 pm
Ludvista wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:12 pm Digitakt! but I swapped it out for an OP-Z and couldn't be more pleased!
Would you recommend this for someone that hasn't been impressed by other kits?
I'm very intrigued by this as well. What did you like in the OP-Z over the Digitakt ?
I’m also curious to hear the Digitakt vs OP-Z experience. I’m a fan all things TE so have been eyeing up the OP-Z but part of me feels like maybe I should branch out in another direction and the Digitakt might just be it.
KORTIKO

brosk.ghostie wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:19 pm
KORTIKO wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:12 pm For all these years, i’ve never had any drum machine. I guess that every time i wanted to get one, some synth overtook my mind and got it’s place under my desk light. Last months i’m thinking about getting one. Still considering my options. :shock:
Aw man, so many good options!! Getting something you can sample into can do wonders for your setup. Kind of off-topic, but I’ve been using the Ableton Push, and that thing is a game-changer!!
I was an idiot who had Roland SP-555, traded it for SPD-S and then sold SPD-S.
brosk.ghostie

KORTIKO wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:33 pm
brosk.ghostie wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:19 pm
KORTIKO wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:12 pm For all these years, i’ve never had any drum machine. I guess that every time i wanted to get one, some synth overtook my mind and got it’s place under my desk light. Last months i’m thinking about getting one. Still considering my options. :shock:
Aw man, so many good options!! Getting something you can sample into can do wonders for your setup. Kind of off-topic, but I’ve been using the Ableton Push, and that thing is a game-changer!!
I was an idiot who had Roland SP-555, traded it for SPD-S and then sold SPD-S.
Aw man, I feel your pain! It’s all part of the gear journey though. Battle scars. It’s nice to have both good and bad experiences with buying and selling though cuz you get to share your knowledge with other people on the same journey. :)
“Man, I ain’t changed, but I know I ain’t the same.”

http://www.broskghostie.bandcamp.com
Flunked Outta NASA

Prole Volt wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:49 am When I Was 18, I grabbed an Alesis SR-16. That little thing kept me up for hours. I wish I still had it!
Any love for the Alesia SR-16 or 18? Pretty cheap but a friend had one running for a minute the other day and it sounded pretty good!
Statistics don't make storms.
Shelfblack

I bought a Zoom MRT3-B Rhythmtrak back in the early 2000's when I was trying to make rap music. It has a built in sequencer but it's pretty difficult to use for me at least. Then, years and years later, like last year...I found it in my attic and hooked it up via midi to my Arturia Drumbrute. It's pretty awesome because it basically lets me add a whole new set of drums to the Brute!